From Netflix: “Ronny Chieng (“The Daily Show,” “Crazy Rich Asians”) takes center stage in this stand-up special and riffs on modern American life and more.”
Editor’s note: Our first stand-up comedy special review!
What I liked:
- Paints great social commentary through strong observational humor.
- He has a very serious and direct demeanor, which made me feel like he was in a bad mood, thus adding to the overall experience.
- Greatly sets up jokes and pays them off in surprisingly greater ways.
- Hey, they shot it at the Alex Theater in Glendale! My home town! Woo!
- LOVE the marketing campaign behind. The fantastic poster looks like the poster to an Asian Gangster movie from the ’60s, while the trailer (below) also buys in to that throwback vibe.
What I didn’t like:
- There was nothing that I didn’t like.
Overall: Smart, strong jokes delivered with enough bite to make you think twice about your life-choices.
Jose Zuazua is editor-in-chief of Quick Lunch Break Reviews. He has an associates degree in film production and has been published both online and in print for Los Angeles City College’s award-winning Collegian newspaper. He’s on Twitter and Instagram, and is also currently writing his first short novel.