I haven’t seen all of the movies in the Conjuring shared universe. Matter of fact, I only saw the very first Conjuring, and the Annabelle movie before this one. Meaning, I’m not too familiar with the story these movies have been telling. This one focuses more on the Warren’s daughter and her babysitter, as the Warren’s leave town to deal with the events that happened in the very first Conjuring movie.
What I liked:
- Yes, it is set at the exact same time. I like that piece of information a lot, as it just brings everything full circle. Pretty cool in my opinion.
- I thought the movie was actually paced really well, and felt like a brisk 1 hour and 46 minute movie.
- The camerawork provided some images that will forever be embedded in my brain.
- I also keep re-seeing a few sequences in my head, some days after watching it.
- Who doesn’t love fog? I love fog. It adds to the creepy atmosphere.
- I enjoyed seeing all the additional cursed artifacts getting some screen time.
- Hey, a Hispanic character! Yaaaay! (I’m Hispanic and this makes me happy. Deal with it.)
- The production companies responsible for this movie have some really cool logo sequences before the movie starts.
- There’s an opening crawl that features the MOST PIERCING RED I’ve ever seen. Seriously, what was that red called? “MENACING RED”? In all caps? The whole crawl situation made me smile and really got me mentally ready for the movie.
What I didn’t like:
- Nothing! I had a fun time.
Overall: A very enjoyable two hours of my life.
p.s. I got to take a selfie with the actual Annabelle doll used for the movie many years ago. Good times.