– Is only 15 minutes longer than the first BUT it feels much longer due to their being multiple subplots that slow down the middle of the movie. They eventually get resolved (and resolved greatly) but this one definitely felt longer to me.
– Every main character (including some supporting ones from the first movie) get to do more with their characters this time around (see subplot note above).
– The pop soundtrack is back, and once again the chosen songs help define the emotions of specific scenes.
– There are some cheap jokes in this one, which disconnected me from the movie at times. I’m not a fan of them.
– If you’ve ever seen James Gunn’s earlier film “Super” (trailer here), you’ll realize that he has a DEEP understanding of what a “hero” actually is, and how necessary it is to become and stay righteous.
– The Milano is a beautiful ship (as are the space battles that appear in the movie [that’s not a spoiler, ok? It takes place in space. Do the math.]).
– The film has heavy father-son themes, and made me think A LOT about my Dad, and how I miss him. I haven’t cried in & after a movie like this in…………………………….ever.
– Final Letter Grade: A
Jose Zuazua is editor-in-chief of Quick Lunch Break Reviews. He has an associates degree in film production. He’s on twitter (twitter.com/josezuazua) and instagram (instagram.com/josezuazua).